Hallo! Willkommen zu Sempiternal Wanderer. Mein name ist Krishaun. :)

The Märker: Von Detroit an die Havel

By 6:19 AM , , , , ,

I was interviewed for and featured in the German newspaper The Märker

I haven't written anything over here in what seems like forever. I guess living your actual life in a foreign country will do that to you. It's not all pretty pictures and nature walks and going to big cities and trying new foods. It's my actual life that I am living here. Studying abroad may seem like a novel concept, but in reality, it's really difficult - rewarding, but really hard, nevertheless.

You have to be open-minded because you are in a new culture, and you can never know what to expect next. You might have to try new foods, or interact with people who don't speak any of your language (although that's kind of the goal so that you can immerse yourself better), or do things that you never thought you would do in your life.  You have to get out of your comfort zone, which can be extremely tiring. For example, I am the type of person who enjoys meeting new people and doing new things; however, having to constantly translate what someone says and figure out the appropriate response is seriously exhausting. On top of all of this, you still have to live your normal life. Just because you're in a different country does not mean that all of your responsibilities back home have disappeared. I still have to apply to colleges and scholarships. I still have to stay on top of what needs to be turned in for my senior year. Living in a different country during study abroad also does not mean that you are on "vacation". You still have to attend school, do chores that are a part of your host family, and do whatever the heck you enjoyed doing back home. You're literally living a normal life, only in a completely different place and culture.


But aside from that little rant, I have been doing well. I really love my host-family. I have a host-mom, her boyfriend, a host sister, and a host brother. My host sister and I are the same age, and we attend the same school. I think that we mesh pretty well. At this point-in-time, I feel comfortable enough around her to start saying/doing weird things...I'd call this a success. Ahaha. We also have this language exchange going on where she speaks English and I speak German. And, my host brother is 13, but we still get along well. He's quite funny. And my host mom and her boyfriend are really nice and helpful - I can talk to them about problems as well as simple conversations. Plus, they don't speak English with me really, which is pretty amazing because it forces me to use German. 

I also enjoy the transportation here in Germany. It's really convenient and healthy. Leoni and I ride our bikes to school every day, minus one day when it was too rainy, and Axel (host mom's boyfriend) drove us to school. However, if it rains or snows, we will usually have to take the bus. Also, the trains here are so quick and convenient! Leoni and I took one to Berlin when we went shopping (I needed a coat). 

I am starting to read + translate this book. Wish me luck!
School here is also different. I have twelve classes, but we do not meet daily. It's more like a college schedule if anything. On Monday, I have 2 lessons of English, a fifteen-minute break, 2 more lessons of English, 2 Math lessons, a thirty-minute lunch break, and then 2 Biology lessons, so I am out by 2:35. On Tuesday, I have 2 English lessons, a two-hour break (Leoni & I bike home), then 2 lessons of Economics, a thirty-minute lunch break, and then 2 lessons of German (out by 2:35p). On Wednesday, I have 2 lessons of English, a fifteen-minute break, 3 lessons of Sport, and 1 lesson of French, so I am out of school by 12:30 pm. On Thursday, I am also out by 12:30, with 2 lessons of History, a fifteen-minute break, 2 Economic supplemental lessons, and 2 lessons of German. Finally, on Friday, I have 2 lessons of Physics, a fifteen-minute break, 2 lessons of French, 2 lessons of Math, a thirty-minute lunch break, and 1 lesson of Politics, so I am out of school by 1:45 pm.

While I enjoy the school schedule (I am getting so spoiled), I am also exhausted by the end of the day. Try learning new things in a completely different language, and then you will see what I mean. It's helpful to be exposed to German all day, but it's truly hard. I never expected it to be easy, but I never expected this either. Like I said early, you never know what to expect. Also, in school, I have friends who try to help me understand, which I really appreciate.

On the topic of language, I might as well update you all with how I am doing. I am understanding a little more and more every day. For a while, I was a bit disappointed in myself because I felt like I should be a little better by now. I felt that I should not have to continuously ask for help with understanding things. But I had to remind myself that 1) it has only been almost two months that I have even started learning the language, and 2) people understand - they are happy that I am trying and are willing to help. Plus, as I reflect on my progress, I am actually much better in the language than I give myself credit for. I know a nice amount of  words, sentence structures, and things that I never would not have thought I could learn before I came to Germany. 

Well, seeing how this post has turned into a long ramble, I am going to end it here. Ciao! 
 photo sig1_2.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments