Hallo! Willkommen zu Sempiternal Wanderer. Mein name ist Krishaun. :)

Blues Brothers Musical in Augsburg

By 10:22 AM , , , ,

Holy. Crap. Last night was pretty interesting. I went to the Blues Brothers musical with my host sister, Amelie, and her best-friends, Josca and Dan. At about six o'clock, Josca came to pick me and Ami  up from our house, and then we all went ot pick up Dan.  From there, we made our way onto the autobahn towards Augsburg, Germany.  I feel the need to briefly digress and say one thing about the autobahn: it is extremely FAST! The autobahn does not have speed limits. They have speed recommendations. The lowest recommendation that I saw was about 100 km, which isn't much in miles (62 mph). But most parts did not have any recommendations. Some people were probably going (according to Ami) 200 km, which is about 120 mph. That is something that I most definitely am not used to. Thankfully, Josca did not drive that fast, but cars passing by us on the left were, and you could definitely hear the engines revving and the dust flying past them. (I'm kidding on the latter. There was no dust. The cars were too clean + shiny to even think about that.)
Once we arrived in Augsburg, after some time of being lost because of missed turns and eventually having to use Google Maps, we had to park. Mind you, a lot of cars in Germany are tiny. Tiny, like smart car tiny. Of course, there are also Crossovers and Jaguars and Mercedes and other popular, nice cars, but most of the cars here in Southern Germany seem to be super tiny because the streets are, well, super tiny. Anyways, because of limited parking at the parking garage, it was hard to find a parking spot. Scarily, Josca tried to fit into a kind of non-existent space until Ami realized that the bottom section of the car park was nearly empty, so we reversed and went there.
After we parked, we all had to walk a bit of a ways to get to the entryway (Section B) of the theater. I could feel people staring at me because I am, well, not the average German citizen by looks, and two, because I was speaking English. It was really weird, haha. But eventually I got over it, and it didn't bother me so much. Another different thing was that I could legally buy beer or wine. While I didn't, the fact that I could blew. my. mind. 
Blues Brothers musical turned out to be really entertaining. All of the songs were in English minus one or two, but the rest of the musical (the talking) was in German, which was confusing for me. People were laughing, and I either acted like I knew what was happening and joined in on the laughter, or I sat there like a bumbling idiot with no sense of humor. Harhar. Good times.
Ami attempted to translate for me at times, but I told her she could stop because the musical was fast-paced, and translating was too heinous. But that was okay because I still understood the plot.  While I did enjoy the musical, I was not as interactive as I wish I would have been. Not understanding a language and having to meet new people who spoke mostly German was tiring. Plus, I am normally quite reserved until I feel comfortable, no matter where I go, so that was also a factor. By the end of the musical, however, I was feeling a tad bit better. Next time I see Josca or Dan (if I do at all), I hope that I will be more of myself. I start my OLC (language camp) tomorrow, so hopefully I will be better improved in my non-existent German. Haha. 
 
 photo sig1_2.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments