Hallo! Willkommen zu Sempiternal Wanderer. Mein name ist Krishaun. :)

Tish and Mini Bonfires

By 1:30 PM , , , ,

Monday was my first day of OLC/OSK (language camp) in Schwabmünchen.  To start the morning off, Ami and I got ready and drove to the train station, where we took a 7:40 AM train from Buchloe to Schwabmünchen.  Trying to catch that train was extremely tiring because Amelie had to buy her ticket, and she was quickly walking throughout the station. I had no idea where to go while she was disappearing up stairs and stuff; plus, I was wearing my Birks, which made chasing after her so much harder. Haha. But in the end, it turned out to be okay because we made it on the train. We had a ten minute ride.

Once we arrived in Schwabmünchen, we we waited for about five minutes to meet up with Elsa and her host family.  We all walked (a very long distance it seemed like at the time because es war sehr heiß!) to the school where our language camp is being held. For the first day, YFU held a breakfast for the families of the host students as well as the host students themselves. My host mom and dad could not attend because they had to work, but Amelie came. And although I highly do appreciate how much she has been helping me, I can admit that it felt really nice to be able to communicate in fluid English with others for the first time in a few days (Elsa, Savannah, Keegan, Asad, and Daelin). However, I was mostly quiet this part of the day because a lot of German was being spoken, and I was on the opposite end of the table from other English speakers. Oh well. It was still a very nice breakfast.
After breakfast, all of the host families and students introduced themselves.  Then, we put a sticker with our names written on it on a map of Schwabmünchen. After that, our teachers spoke to our families in German before dismissing them to chat among themselves while us students were led away to our classroom.  We chatted about quite a bit, including expectations, fears, and pretty much anything in between.  They told us that today (Thursday or Donnerstag), we are going on a scavenger hunt in Scwabmünchen. Once that was over, we were able to leave school early, at about 1:30 PM because we were done for the day.

Muriel took Ami and I to the train station, where we were waiting for a train to return to Buchloe.  There, Ami began to help me practice my German; how do you say that, what time did your parents get home, etc. Once we got back to Buchloe, Ami took me to LDS to get a prepaid SIM card.  I got a little overwhelmed at this point because of the language barrier.  I did not know how to ask necessary questions, nor was I able to understand much of what was happening. 

Amelie and I eventually went back home, and she made me some pasta strands, and I added tomatoes, peppers, and grated cheese to it. It was my first time eating pasta like that, but I surprisingly enjoyed it a lot.  While I was eating, Ami ran around the house, slapping post it notes with the German names of the object on the object.  We had a lot of fun with her trying to teach me names.  I'm getting there, haha. Eventually, we sat down, and I wrote twenty vocabulary words/phrases that I would like to know by Freitag (Friday). I learned my numbers by doing this. Cool.

After that, Ami and I sat around and updated our contact lists before going down to her room to watch Abduction with Taylor Lautner. We eventually dozed off until her mom came home. We went upstairs, and since no dinner was prepared, we heated up bread, leftover zucchini and potatoes, and my leftover Weiner. We also made a salad and ate outside.

Once dinner was over, Ami and I went to the fishing dock, at the lake.  She fishes there.  I met some of her friends and their family.  t was pretty awkward, and I was getting a bit frustrated because I could not understand anything, bug were biting me, and I was cold.  However, towards the end of the night, when the fire blazed and the moon started to rise, Ami, her friend, and I sat and played Unblock Me, and I was okay.  I still wanted to leave though. It wasn't because I was bored and was upset; I had to wake up early the next morning for my OLC/OSK.

When we were saying our goodbyes to everyone, one man attempted to speak to my in English, which was pretty nice.  I enjoyed the interaction.  I even attempted to speak German to him as well.  Once we left, Ami and I chatted about how we wanted to keep in touch once we separate, and hopefully visit one another.  It was a pretty nice, hot summer day. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments